Are you still suffering through life trying to watch movies on your tiny 60″ LCD TV? Does the roof over your head just cramp your style when watching action flicks? I feel your pain, I used to be in your shoes…until I discovered the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 500 Projector. If you missed it, please go back and read Part 1 of our review of the Epson Home Cinema 500 projector.
The quick rundown, the Epson Home Cinema 500 is a small, 5 pound, 3 chip 3LCD projector that can project a very bright (2,600 lumens of color and white brightness) image onto a very large surface (300 inches). In Part 1 of the review we covered the basic specs on the projector, but we have now had a chance to do a few movie nights and perform real world testing.
Please watch our video review of the Epson Home Cinema 500 Projector -
The Epson Cinema 500 – A Tiny Package, With Big Features
After spending a few weeks with the Epson Cinema 500 Projector, it is clear that there is a lot to like about this tiny projector. The projector projects a big, bright, beautiful image and is a snap to setup. Here are the top features of the projector –
- Up to 3x Brighter Colors Than Other Projectors — The 3LCD, 3-chip technology produces a bright, vivid picture
- One measurement of brightness is not enough — look for both high color brightness and high white brightness.
The PowerLite Home Cinema 500 has:
- Color Brightness: 2600 lumens
- White Brightness: 2600 lumens
- Projection System: 3LCD, 3-chip technology
- Driving Method: Epson Poly-silicon TFT Active Matrix
- Brilliant image quality — supports widescreen content
- USB Plug ‘n Play instant setup — instantly project from a PC or Mac via a USB connection
- Built-in image correction — for fast, easy set up
- Watch HD content with just one cable — digital HDMI audio / video connection
- Great sound anywhere with built-in speaker — no external speakers needed
- PC-free slideshows — via a USB thumb drive
- Quick, convenient control — Instant Off / On, Sleep Mode, Direct Power Off / On
- The ultimate in portability — compact, lightweight design and remote control included
- Game mode — one of four special color modes to choose from; ideal for displaying video games or TV programs in well-lit rooms
- Outstanding support — one-year parts-and-labor limited warranty
- Projection Method: Front / rear / ceiling mount
- Pixel Number: 480,000 dots (800 x 600) x 3
- Aspect Ratio: Supports 16:9 (4.3 native)
- Native Resolution: 800 x 600 (SVGA)
- Resize: 640 x 480 (VGA), 1024 x 768 (XGA), 1152 x 864 (SXGA), 1280 x 800 (WXGA), 1400 x 1050 (SXGA+)
- Lamp Type: E-TORL™ 200 W UHE
- Lamp Life: ECO mode: Up to 5000 hours, Normal mode: Up to 4000 hours
- Size (projected distance):
- 30″ – 350″ (0.88 – 10.44m) (zoom: wide)
- 23″ – 260″ (0.88 – 10.44m) (zoom: tele)
Conclusion: You Will Never Look at a Wall or Sheet The Same Way Again
Something strange happened after spending a few weeks with the Home Cinema 500 projector…I lost the ability to objectively look at walls and sheets. Every wall I walked past, I wanted to know how the Epson Home Cinema 500 would project onto it. Sheets for sleeping? No way, I suddenly wanted to try out every sheet in the closet to find the perfect movie screen. Clearly, we were hooked on the Home Cinema 500.
The Epson Cinema 500 Silver Edition performed flawlessly during numerous outdoor movie nights. The picture is big and beautiful, while the projector is small and simple to operate. We wished the built-in speaker was more powerful, but that was our only real negative. With a retail of $379, the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 500 Silver Edition is an excellent value…and an excellent way to make friends with all your movie loving neighbors.
The Epson Home Cinema 500 3LCD Projector Retails for $379
Purchase the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 500 Silver Edition Projector From Amazon.Com