One of my goals for 2013 was to learn a new language, but why bother when the WorldPenScan BT can translate 200 languages for me? Nothing like technology rescuing me from actually having to use my brain! The strangely named World Pen Scan BT is a wireless portable pen scanner and translator from PenPower Inc that works with Windows, Mac and Android devices.
Let’s Take a Look at Our Video Review of the WorldPenScan BT -
A Simple and Portable Way To Scan Text
As the video shows, the WorldPenScan BT is a very simple gadget to use. Pull the pen along a line of text, as if you were highlighting, and that text appears on your computer or Android device. The World Pen Scan BT is not limited to text, you can scan images and bar codes as well. Of course, the ability to translate what you scan between 200 different languages (20 languages on the Android version) is the real appeal of this gadget.
Here is a full list of the features of the WorldPenScan PT:
- Scan and recognize printed texts anytime and anywhere. All data can be transferred into Win/ Mac or Android phones/ tablets with Bluetooth (or USB).
- Recognizes bar codes, OCR-A, OCR-B and MICR to apply in banks, libraries and logistics, etc.
- For Android phone/ tablet users, WorldPenScan BT can recognize more than 20 languages used most often such as English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese and Korean, etc.
- For Win/ Mac users, WorldPenScan BT can recognize nearly 200 languages. It provides you the most complete recognition solution.
- Scan printed text directly and get word by word translation in a matter of seconds. The dictionary and pronunciation functions make translation a hands-down affair.
- Support output formats such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, iWork, email, and browser. So within minutes, you can get and edit the output of your desired format.
- Provide advance search function through Google, Wikipedia and YouTube with one click. You can get more information from all over the world easily.
- Dimensions: 130mm x 37mm x 18.5mm
- Weight: 35g
- Interface: USB 2.0 / Bluetooth V2.1+EDR
- Built-in lithium polymer rechargeable battery
- Voltage and amperage: 4.75-5.25V (<100mA)
- Scan speed: 15 cm/second
- Character size: 5-22 pt
Price and No iOS Support Are The Two Major Negatives to the WorldPenScan BT
The WorldPenScan definitely works as advertised. Drag the scanner across some text and watch it appear on your compute or Android device. If the text is in another language, no problem, the WorldPenScan BT software effortlessly translates. So, what is the catch? Well, there are two…
First there is no iOS support. If you use an iPhone or iPad, you will not be able to use the WorldPenScan BT pen scanner. Hopefully PenPower Inc will add iOS support in the future, because now there is a whole population of mobile users who will not be able to enjoy this gadget.
The second problem may be a deal breaker for some – the price. The WorldPenScan BT has a street price of about $144 (with a $199 retail). This high price tag will be a major deterrent for many casual users. If you do a great deal of traveling or are in a situation where you have daily scanning and translation needs, then $144 for a device that will make your daily life easier may be a small price to pay. On the other hand, for the casual user, who would just use this a couple of times a month, the $144 price tag may be a deal breaker.
Conclusion: The WorldPenScan BT Is a Great Pen Scanner/Translator, If The Price Doesn’t Scare You Away
If you are in the market for a simple wireless device that will allow you to quickly scan and translate text, the WorldPenScan BT is a fine choice. We wish there was iOS support and a lower price tag, but the product does serve a purpose and do it well. This is not something that is going to appeal to every parent, but for those who travel and have been looking for a quick way to translate text, the WorldPenScan BT is a strong choice.
Learn More About the WorldPenScan BT from PenPower Inc
Purchase for $144 from NewEgg.Com