You know what separates every robotic pet from a real pet?
An on/off switch!
The thing which is great about real pets is that they are living, breathing things. Real pets are always going, filled with personality and demand your attention.
While the CHiP Robotic Pup from WowWee does not look like a real dog and certainly is not living and breathing…it comes as close as we have seen to acting like a real pet in every other way!
Please watch our 2 Part Video Review of CHiP From WowWee -
The Smart Bed Takes CHiP To A Whole New Level
There is a whole lot of impressive technology in CHiP but I believe it is the Smart Bed that takes CHiP to a whole new level. CHiP can navigate back to its Smart Bed and recharge when its batteries are low. Now you have a robot dog that does not need to be turned on and off and is always ready to play. Starting to sound more like a real dog, right?
Speaking of technology, here are the other key features of CHiP –
- CHiP is a smart, affectionate, trainable robot dog
- Play with CHiP via touch, voice commands, the included SmartBand, the included SmartBall and the CHiP app
- The SmartBand allows CHiP to recognize and follow you; CHiP will also play fetch with the SmartBall and bring it back to you
- When low on battery, CHiP automatically returns to his SmartBed to recharge himself
- With Adaptive Personality, CHiP changes and grows based on how you play with her
- With Beaconsense, CHiP can sense its environment and adapt and change
- Infrared Vision allow CHiP to navigate
- Accelerometers & gyroscopes allow CHiP to know when it is being picked up or pushed
Like a Fine Wine, CHiP Should Improve With Age
There are a number of reasons why CHiP should get better the longer your child plays with CHiP. First, you can give a Thumbs Up when CHiP does something you like. This means CHiP learns what you like and will adapt and change to become a better pet for you.
Second, WowWee is constantly adding new features and pushing firmware upgrades. There is a lot of technology in CHiP that will be used more effectively as WowWee does updates. This means that the CHiP you buy today, should only get better with more time.
The major cons to CHiP for now are price and noise level. CHiP sells for $199, which is not a bad price for a sophisticated robot, but it is expensive for a toy. The other problem, which we discuss in the video, CHiP is loud. The upside to the loud motors is that CHiP is very fast and great at playing fetch!
If the price doesn’t scare you off, CHiP makes for a really fun robotic pet…that never needs to be let out at 3am to do its business!
Learn More About CHiP ($199) From WowWee